Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Friday, February 14, 2014

See Ya Later NSICU!

Sunday, October 27 began with doctor and nurse check ups.  Incredibly positive check ups.  My neurology and neurosurgery teams were shocked by my improvement, my strength, and my positive attitude.  They recommended that I be transferred to the stroke recovery floor.  

My OB team came in next.  I was anxious for this assessment.  I was worried that my stroke affected the baby, that the medicine affected the baby, and that I wasn't getting the proper nutrition I needed for her since I was on such a restricted diet and I really hadn't eaten since Monday.  That checkup turned out to be a Godsend.  The team was AMAZING!  They were confident that nothing had harmed the baby.  My stroke was brain related and everything baby was heart related.  My heart was strong so they believed the baby was too.  All the medications were approved by them and they had no doubt that the baby was getting more than enough nutrition from my body.  They even referred to her as a "parasite."

The outstanding news from these check ups put me on cloud nine.  I was transferred to a tiny, but private room on the stroke floor.  Patrick and I got settled in and very soon after our room started becoming a jungle.  We had so many plants, flowers, and balloons that they were overtaking our room!  Even though the nurses and doctors loved the smell, they asked us to ask people to hold off on the gifts.  There was just no room to move!  In hindsight we should have taken a picture.

Later that afternoon the swallow tech came in again and ended up clearing me for solid food!  I was so freaking excited!  The first meal was great because I just wanted food so badly.  I quickly realized though that the food was definitely the area where the U of I should not get a high ranking!  

The rest of the night consisted of lots of TV, reading messages, and nurse check ups.  I also started to receive heparin shots to prevent clotting.  I chose to take the first one in my right thigh.  Holy crap they hurt!  Not the poke, but the 10 seconds immediately after.  It literally felt like acid was being injected directly in to my body.  After that I decided to take them in my left leg so I wouldn't feel it as much.  I had to use my stroke to my advantage somehow right?! ;)

Facebook post from Patrick on Sunday, October 27
 Incredibly happy to report that Jamie Smith has been moved out of NSICU and is resting comfortably in her new room on the 6JC west wing "stroke recovery floor".  She made strides this morning that left her doctors in awe and they felt she was ready for the move to start some sort of rehab tomorrow.
We remain optimistic and continue to ask for your prayers.  They have brought incredible strength and courage to my wife.  I can not thank you enough for all of your comments.  Prior to Jamie falling to sleep I usually take a few minutes to read some of them to her.  She claims it puts her at ease and helps her sleep, I think she just likes hearing people talk nicely about her ; ).

To all the family and friends caring for our children this week, we are indebted forever.  For those who have signed up for the meal wagon...Thank You. We are so blessed and so fortunate to have this support system.  God Bless and please continue to Pray.
Facebook Post from Patrick on Sunday, October 27
From Jamie--Today has been a great day.  I got great reviews from my teams of doctors, moved out of NSICU, and look at me sitting up......BUT, the greatest thing of all today, REAL FOOD!!   I just wanted to show all of you how much your prayers and messages give me strength and courage.   P.S. please ignore my hair, apparently there was a wild party last night, but I can't remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment