Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Do Better. Be Better.

Do Better.  Be Better. 

This became my new motto almost immediately after I had my stroke.  I was so impressed by and grateful for all the family and friends that were helping us.  They were our guardian angels on Earth.

Before my stroke I considered myself nice enough, caring enough, attentive enough....the list goes on.  As I laid there in my ICU bed and listened to Patrick tell me about who was helping and what was being done I just instantly became upset with myself.  I was disgusted that I had to add "enough" after each positive adjective I would describe myself as possessing.  When had I completely gone out of my way to lift someones spirits?  When had I rearranged my life to help a friend in need?  Being enough just didn't cut it anymore.  All the people that helped us deserved more from me.  I would think about every rude thing I had done or said to someone, all the times I had been selfish, and all the times I didn't make time for others.  Regret is too severe of a word to describe my feelings, but I was pretty disappointed in myself.

The creed "Do Better.  Be Better." can literally be applied to everything in life.  I would define it as "completing positive actions that create a better you."  I will strive to trust in Him to be a better angel for Him.    I will be more affectionate to be a better spouse.  I will practice patience to be a better parent.  I will value my parents to be a better child.  I will watch over my siblings to be a better sibling.  I will be present in my relationships to be a better friend.  I will be conscientious to be a better employee.  I will eat healthy and exercise to be a healthy me.

Even after this life changing event, I am sure I will still live life to quickly, become impatient, complain, etc.  I am not perfect, nor will I ever be.  It is not my goal to be perfect.   What is important to me is the realization that enough is not enough and continuing to desire to want to grow as a person.  Do I have more to give?  What can I do to change it?  Am I doing better and being better?  Becoming a better you is never finished.

Do Better.  Be Better.  Every minute of everyday in everything you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment