Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Friday, February 21, 2014

It's A GSD Kind Of Day!

I woke up on Monday ready to slay the day.  Or, as I commonly say "Get GSD."  A.k.a. Get Shit Done.  That saying started in April 2013 after I had competed in a local 5k and finished fourth in my age division.  Afterwards, my good friend started referring to me as GSD and it kind of just stuck!

Facebook post by Patrick from November 4, 2013
It's a GSD kind of day!!!

PT was becoming more challenging.  It was quickly realized that I was in great physical shape and I had the mental perseverance to match.  Now, I am not saying I killed everything I did and was amazing at it.  That was certainly not the case.  What I am saying is that I started at a level higher than most and was willing to try anything no matter how difficult or frustrating it was.  Usually I was absolutely horrendous at something the first time I did it.  I would doubt that I could do it which would instantly dome me.  Then, I would try to just take off and move the way I always had.  I would go to fast and my focus wouldn't be there.  It was even harder when my right side was completely normal and unaffected by my bleed.  I just felt like two different people using the same head.  The second time I tried I would adjust and compensate.  I would focus on my left side mimicking my right side right down to which muscles I would feel flexing at certain times.  I would also have to pay special attention to my left ankle.  I would often stick my left hip out to the side to bear weight causing my left ankle to roll.  How do you fix that?  Flex your left butt cheek and push your left big toe in to the floor.  It was crazy to learn how my body actually moved and worked rather than just doing it without thinking like I always had.

OT was OT.  Frustrating as hell.  My hand just wouldn't listen and I was so weak.  Talk about learning how to move again.  Every time I did a task I had to complete it with my right hand first.  I had to watch which fingers engaged and how and really think about diong all those things with my left hand.  I completed peg board after peg board after peg board.  The objects kept getting smaller and smaller that I had to pick up, squeeze, or twist.  It was hard to complete the tasks physically but mentally it was even more exhausting.  I couldn't take a mental break for a second.  If I did I would drop the object or one of my fingers would stick out straight instead of curling to grip something.  OT was honestly the hardest thing I have ever done in my life and I have had three kids!   It was frustrating but I tried to focus on improvement every time I did it. 

Below is a post that we posted on the Next Level Extreme Fitness Facebook page.  I was doing squats and lunges very early in my PT sessions.  I loved it because it made me feel like I was just as strong as ever.  I had to show my fellow NLXF family that I was still there with them on Black Monday workouts which are the evil plans of the NLXF owner.  Super hard, but I loved every second!  I miss those days!


Facebook post from November 4, 2013 to the Next Level Extreme Fitness Page
I just wanted to take a second and say a few thank you's. First I wanted to give a shout out to the NLXF trainers.  In the gym you always knew what to say whether it was, "Yeah J," or "killing it J Smith," or "just pushing around refrigerators." You always knew what to say then to motivate me and you still do now. Thank you for all of your kind and encouraging words throughout this process.
To the rest of my NLXF family: I am without words. I am currently at Covenant Rehab and I have two fellow NLXF'ers on my therapy team. It makes me feel right at home. I haven't even come close to meeting all of you, but yet you still lift me up in prayer and even am providing meals for my family. Please, please introduce yourself to me when we cross paths so I may give you a giant hug.

It is no secret that I love NLXF. I love the workouts, the intensity, and the atmosphere, but most of all I love the people. I have built life-long friendships that I couldn't dream of living without. We are a family and you are proving that right now.

This is a picture of me proving to you I still have to do squats too. P.S. Don't hate on my form, she told me to only slightly bend my knees, but I couldn't help myself.

Happy Black Monday....wish I was there.

1 comment: