Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Friday, February 14, 2014

Out For A Stroll!

Tuesday, October 29 was my first rough day.  I was upset about my condition, about JJ being sick, and nervous about my MRI.  I think my post explains it well.

Facebook post on October 29,2013
A message from Jamie Smith.

Every morning when I wake up and before I open my eyes, I say a little prayer for my vision to be back to normal.  At this point that has not happened.  So I give myself five minutes to ask the "why me's?" and the "what if''s?" and then I force myself to stop.

This morning I couldn't stop, especially after I found out Jaelyn was sick and I couldn't be there for her.  Then PT showed up, it was like God was slapping me in the face and saying, "Lets get to work".  So I did.

The entire time I was walking I just tried to imagine that I was at the park with my three girls and I was trying to catch up as they ran in front of me.   I just need to remember that when I am down, I have a beautiful life to work to get back to!

This afternoon I have another MRI to make sure everything is okay and if it is, I will be transferred to Covenant.  So, I ask for your prayers once again.

To be closer to home and closer to my children would mean the world to me.
-Jamie-

I can not thank all you enough for the prayers, calls, texts, Facebook messages of support.   I feel as if I've been given a second chance at our life together and a second chance at raising these lit monkeys together.  I look forward to my new views on life and living it to its fullest.  urge you all to go home tonight, drop any meaningless concern you may have and simply hug your loved ones and cherish your evening with them. Patrick


My PT walked in as I was balling.  I felt like such an idiot.  I took a deep breath, wiped my tears, and made a choice.  I couldn't change one single thing I was upset about.  I had control over nothing except how I was going to pick myself up and move forward.  I chose to lift my chin up, roll up my sleeves, and beast it out.  I chose to "Do Better.  Be Better."

I walked all the way around the stroke recovery loop.  My left side had virtually no sensory input from the ground and my vision was crazy.  My left side was also very heavy so I would lean to the left.  The best way I could explain my left side would be to compare it to an epidural.   That first time you walk your lower body is heavy and uncontrollable.  That is exactly how I felt, but only on my left side.  Despite how I felt it was my goal to make improvement from the first time.  How?  By losing the majority of assistance from my helpers.  Instead of holding both of their hands, I only let one of them hold on to me.  I also only let them hold on to my elbow.  Big deal right?  YES!!  Improvement is improvement.  No matter how big.  No matter how small.  Improvement is improvement.

You can read below in Patrick's Facebook post that the day ended up on a high note.


Facebook post from Patrick on October 29, 2013
Out for a Stroll - Absolutely incredible site for me to see tonight. Jamie Smith's preliminary MRI results came back with very encouraging news. No additional bleed and they feel the healing/ "absorbment" process has started. With any luck we might be resting our heads closer to home soon.
God bless and thank you for the continued prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment