Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Thursday, February 20, 2014

My First Eye Patch

I woke up on November 1 being greeted by Dr. Hines, the neurologist at Covenant.  Patrick had asked our therapy team to have him come talk to me since we were worried about me getting sick the day before.  He did the million assessments that everyone else did and finished by saying that he would be shocked if I didn't make near 100% recovery.  My head therapy doctor had told me the same thing the night we checked in.  Most doctors before they see me assume that I am going to be in rough shape due to the size and location of my bleed.  He also said that he didn't know what caused it but he was hopeful that the bleed had essentially destroyed it.  He also told me to start wearing an eye patch to help with my vision and nausea.  He was quick to say that it would not hinder my recovery, but help it.

Needless to say, Patrick and I were thrilled with his comments.  Just to hear a doctor finally say that I looked good and I would be fine took a million pounds off our shoulders.  I went in to that day and weekend of therapy with a new found confidence and belief that I would recover and be me again.

So, my OT came in and gave me two different patch options.  The first was what I would describe as a pirate patch.  It felt like it covered my entire face and fit funny under my glasses.  I quickly shot that option down.  The second was a tan plastic clip that hung from my glasses.  This one still allowed light to reach my eyes and for me to see using my peripheral vision.  Plus I could take it off easily and transfer it from eye to eye.

Once I had chosen my patch my OT had me read and fill out my menu for the day.  I had absolutely no problem doing it.  I could see just like I always had.  EVERYTHING improved with my patch.  My balance was better, my ability to find objects improved, I could complete visual tasks, and my nausea decreased significantly.  I would switch my patch from eye to eye after every task I completed.  I would also take it off when I wasn't doing therapy.  This allowed for each eye to still be worked and for me to not be 100% reliant on it.  I wished after I had gotten the patch that I would have one all along.  It would have made my life much easier that first week and a half!

This picture is not the best but it gives you an idea of what my eye patch looks like.  It is also the first time I have ever had Chinese!  My good friend came to visit and surprised me with it and forced me to eat with chopsticks with my left hand!  ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment