Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Friday, February 14, 2014

I Still Eat Mountains of Ketchup!

Monday, October 28 consisted of more check ups, more doctors visits, more rest, and more TV.  At this point, I knew exactly what these check ups consisted of.  The doctors and students would come in, ask me to recount my story, and complete physical assessments.  Patrick and I joked that we were in our own Grey's Anatomy episode.  Patrick even called the doctors by character names.  The students would laugh but the doctors weren't the joking type.  I have come to learn that some neurology doctors are a bit stiff around the edges.  Patrick and I even got to the point where we knew the answers to the questions the doctors were quizzing their students with.  This gave both of us a sense of false confidence-- we could both totally be neurosurgeons now!  ;)

The afternoon was welcomed with a visit from my physical therapist.  I again had to recount my story.  I should have just tape recorded it.  It would come in handy even now!  She was also impressed with my mobility and strength and asked me if I were up for a challenge.  I said, "Yes!"  What I was really thinking was, "Please, please, please!  Anything to get me up, moving, and away from the TV.  Let's get GSD!"  I thought that answer might have overwhelmed her!

My nurse and my PT both held on to a hand.  I only walked 15 feet and back but it was like I was free!  How I felt reminded me of the scene in Forrest Gump when he is running away from the bullies and his leg braces fall apart and he just runs like the wind.  I wasn't anywhere close to running like the wind, but I sure felt that sense of freedom!

During the night they also backed my nurse check ups to every two hours instead of every hour because I was improving so quickly.  I finally started to get some much needed rest as a result.

Facebook post from Patrick on October 28, 2013
A few highlights from our day -My determined, inspiring, and loveable wife showed some of her NLXF strength all day long today. Up on her feet for the first time, sitting on the side of the bed unassisted, and even eating a mountain of ketchup with her chicken strips all by herself.
It's been as encouraging of a day as I could have ever asked for. We continue to ask for prayers as her vision still is not 100 percent and her left arm and leg still lack sensation. We thank you all for your help, for your thoughts, and for your prayers. 
P.S. To all of you who have sent flowers/plants/balloons, our room is now a jungle. So much so, that one of the hospital staff asked us to ask our family and friends to halt sending them. We greatly appreciate the gifts, but our room can not hold anymore. We know you all are with us and want to help, but all we really want is your continued prayers. 
God Bless, Patrick Smith and Jamie Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment