Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Waterloo Courier Article

I was interviewed by the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier the Friday before my Iowa City appointment. They came and took pictures of my OT and PT sessions and interviewed my therapists, doctors, and Patrick and myself.  At that interview, we decided that it would be best to publish the article on Sunday the 29th so the findings of my Iowa City appointments would be included.  When we found out about my condition, Patrick messaged the reporter, without me knowing, and told her what we had learned and asked her to put a hold on the article.  When he told me, I immediately told him to message her back and tell her to include everything.  I did not want to keep anything a secret.  I had been given so much support by others because of my honesty and I wasn't going to stop now when I needed it the most.  The link below is the article that was published on December 29. 

Facebook post from December 29, 2013
Some of you may have seen this in the paper this morning. My stroke, although terrible, has changed my life in many ways for the better. I want to thank Meta Hemingway-Forbes for her amazing work on the article and my therapists at Covenant. Without all of you I would not be where I am today. Finally, much love to all of you who continue to support and encourage Patrick Smith and I through this journey. 
  
Pregnant Cedar Falls Gym Teacher On The Mend After Stroke 

It was the right decision to publish the truth.  So many people saw the article.  My news feed was consumed with others sharing the article link.  My personal message inbox was flooded with strangers offering their support, sending me their personal stories, and giving me support group references and names of top notch surgeons and new medical technology research. 

By this time, we had set up a second opinion appointment at Mayo to see Dr. Lanzino.  The article was a blessing.  I gained encouragement and support in my darkest time.  It was just what I needed to relax my nerves and get a little bit of a boost heading in to that appointment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment