Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Nine Years in the Books!

Today marks nine years since Patrick and I said "I Do."  Wow, does time fly.

I still remember the night I met Patrick.  I knew instantly that he was special and was pretty certain two months into our relationship that I had found the match God created for me.  The man that I would laugh with, cry with, fight with; the man that I would have children with and grow old with. 

The night he proposed to me is also something that is vivid in my mind.  He was so nervous that I could literally feel him shaking as he held my hand.  The night was perfect in many ways, but what made it memorable was his words after he popped the question and I had responded with a tearful yes.

As he gave me the ring he told me that he was only going to slide it half way on my finger and that he wanted me to put it on the rest of the way.  He explained to me that our relationship would always be 50/50; an equal partnership.  By both of us placing the ring on my finger, we were agreeing to share all our accomplishments and struggles together.  We were promising to always give each other more than what we expected in return.

I recall feeling cherished.  I was in utter disbelief that I had been so lucky to find him and even more lucky that he chose me to be by his side.

Our wedding day was even better.  We were surround by our family and friends and it was a gorgeous day.  It couldn't have been more perfect.  We said our vows that day completely oblivious to everything that was going to happen in our future.


                                   

Much has happened in nine years.  We have had many job changes, moved several times, and met many new friends.  But our proudest moments center around our four beautiful girls.  They have completed us and taught us so much about how to love and opened our eyes to the simplicity and beauty of life.  We are VERY busy, but I wouldn't trade our large family for the world.



April 2014, Photo Courtesy of Nancy Lukes of Lukes Photography

This year of our marriage was challenging for many reasons.  Never in a million years would we have expected that I would suffer a stroke and be diagnosed with a rare brain condition.  We had our disagreements, worries, and frustrations.  BUT we never faltered.  We relied and believed in our vows.  They mean more now than they ever did. 

This year and many of our upcoming years could bring even more struggles.  But, I KNOW they are also going to be filled with even more happiness and triumphs than ever before.  We will continue to be faithful, committed to our vows, and devoted to one another.  We will always have an equal partnership and I trust that if one of us needs to receive more than our 50%, the other will always be there to give a little more.

Over the years, and especially in the last nine months, there have been many times where I have looked at Patrick and felt like time froze and the world stood still.  Although we have aged and changed, I still envision the boy that always wore the Padres hat with the back taped with black electric tape to make it "fitted."  I still imagine the young man that was filled with vulnerability, faith, and love the days he asked me to be his wife and vowed to be by my side forever the day we wed.   I still picture the man whose eyes were filled with overwhelming joy the days his girls were born.  I still see the man that carried the world on his shoulders nine months ago.

I would say that I need to dream about them man he will become.  But, I wouldn't even know where to start.  He has already met and exceeded every dream I ever had of him.






 
Cheers to nine years, Patrick!
  


No comments:

Post a Comment