Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Nine Month Anniversary

Friday was the nine month anniversary of my stroke.  I will admit that I had a difficult day.  It was a busy day and it seemed like it was filled with many "I can't because of my stroke" moments.  It literally felt like my stroke had taken over my life and my spirit was broken as a result.

On Saturday I was telling my friend, Chris, about my day and that it had just been full of  "I cant's."  Without missing a beat, he turned to me and said, "but think about all of your I can's."

I have said this a gazillions times--where would I be without my army?  In an instant he took away all of my frustrations and helped me refocus on all that I had accomplished in nine months.  There are so many people in my life that encourage me and lift me up.  I am truly blessed.

So, how have I been doing?

GREAT!

I still struggle with my vision.  I continue to wear a 20 strength prism to correct my double vision and my right eye remains slightly off center.  I see the ophthalmologist again on August 8.  We are supposed to discuss eye muscle surgery to correct my vision.  I plan to have this surgery before the end of the year if my eye does not heal itself on its own before then.

My balance, cognitive functioning, and memory still remain normal.  I do have a bit of stiffness and heaviness in my left leg.  I would put my functioning at about 95%.  My left arm still waivers as it extends from the center of my body although it has improved with exercise.  I would rank it at about 98% normal functioning.  My left hand still continues to be the stiffest, but functioning has improved.  I can now fasten necklaces, apply earring backs, and connect buttons on the first try most of the time. Sensation hasn't improved much though.  I would classify my hand at about 95% functioning and 85% sensation.

My most exciting update is that I am back to Next Level Extreme Fitness!  The only day I do not participate in is Friday Gauntlets.  I just don't feel up to par for that yet.  I need to take extra time on my combos, especially those involving left roundhouse kicks, and I don't want to slow people down.  Plus, my ego would get in the way and I would rush things and push myself harder than I should.  Other than that, I do every class without modification.  I have increased all weight to 12's or 15's in every arm exercise except shoulder presses and fly exercises.  I still use 10's on those until I feel completely confident that I can control the stability of my arm as I extend it away from my center.  I am able to do 20's or 25's on every leg exercise.  That is a far cry from what I used to do but the important thing is that my leg does not fatigue like it used to.  Nor do I notice as much heaviness in my leg anymore.  I would compare what I do feel to wearing an 8 lb. ankle weight on my leg.

My newest struggle has been left roundhouse kicks.  Darn those things!  I can do my right side kicks fine because my right leg is of normal functioning and my balance is completely normal.  The only problem I have with my left kicks is the last motion of snapping my foot onto the bag.  I can balance on my right leg, bring my left leg up, but I cannot physically control the snap of my leg.  As a result, I overcompensate and turn my shoulders, hips, and knees to early and contact the bag on the outside of my ankle.  That is very, very wrong!  So, I am back to going very slow and basically retraining my body how to move just like I did when I learned how to walk again!  Yesterday already went better than last Wednesday so I am confident that I will get there soon. 

People probably think I am crazy for going back to NLXF considering the risk of a rebleed.  I get that because I sometimes think I am crazy for doing it too.  But, here's the thing, I LOVE to exercise and I love NLXF.  If I couldn't do it, I would be so unhappy and feel like a stranger to myself.  What kind of quality of life would I have if I couldn't do the things I enjoy?  That is not how I want to live.  I am healthy, strong, and able so I am going to take advantage of that while I can.  Right, Kelly? 

I am going to live life to the fullest BECAUSE I CAN.  (kudos to Heather for that catch phrase)

No comments:

Post a Comment