Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Friday, July 18, 2014

My Army

Yesterday I was blessed to watch Stuart Scott's story and acceptance speech from the Espy's.  I highly recommend that you watch them (just click on 'story' and 'acceptance speech').  I was moved and inspired by it.  There were many things that I could relate to, but there was a specific part of his speech that hit me the hardest.  He spoke about being in the hospital the week prior and being unable to fight for himself.  Instead, others, like the doctors and nurses, his girlfriend, and his friends, all fought for him.

I understand this.  I have people like that in my life.  There are so many that fight for me when I don't think I can that it is like I have my own army.

If you have followed my story from the beginning, you know that many people have done some very special and extravagant acts of kindness for my family and I.  Our families, our closet friends, Cedar Falls Schools, Next Level Extreme Fitness, the Cedar Valley Leadership Institute, the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, and even people I have never met have all stepped up and helped us in our time of need.  I have written many blog posts about it.   I am truly blessed.  Even after everything that has already been done, eight and a half months later, there are still people that are shining their light and extending even more blessings upon our family.

A bit of background first.......

I graduated from Dunkerton High School in 1999 with, I believe, 42 people.  Many of us started Kindergarten together.  I loved growing up there.  But, as I am sure many of you have experienced, after high school everyone moves on to college or jobs and moves away and you begin to lose touch.  When I had my stroke, many of the people I graduated with were the first to leave me inspirational messages, notes of encouragement, call, visit, and sport my support bands.  After all those years.....I was blown away by their generosity.

Last week I met with one of my high school classmates and friend.  We did 15 years worth of catching up in two hours!  It was so great to see her, hear about her beautiful family, and see what an amazing woman she had grown up to be.  Before she left, she gave me an incredible surprise.  She informed me that my graduating class was arranging a benefit for me for the weekend of September 19-21; that they were going to try to make it an annual event.  I don't know any of the details other than it is a golf tournament, with a social hour, and supper out at Wapsie Ridge Golf Course.....and I don't care!  I am absolutely blown away and humbled!  Of course Patrick knew all along.  But for them to even think of me after all these years.....well, I don't even know how to express how I feel.  No words can do it justice.  Like I have mentioned before--there are times in life where you are so touched and overwhelmed with emotion that it literally feels like you are overflowing or your heart is going to burst.  This, along with many other moments in the last eight and a half months, was one of those times.

Like I told her that day--I remain positive, strong, and motivated because of the people that have formed my army.  The people who fight for me and my family when I can't.  The people who shine their light so bright it's blinding.  The people who believe in the good in this world and work very hard to BE the good in the world.  The people who do better and be better everyday.

My army has inspired me since October 25, 2013 to do better.  To be better.

I have no idea where I would be without my army.


No comments:

Post a Comment