Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Eight Month Anniversary

I completely forgot to write my eight month anniversary post!  I have been too busy enjoying the summer weather and all of the extra time I get to spend with Patrick and the girls.

My eye has remained the same.  It still continues to be off center towards my nose.  I have a 15 strength prism, but I have not tried it yet.  I think I could get by with it, but I do not want to stress my eyes.  My ophthalmologist is always first to tell me that it is important to use a prism that lets my eye see without strain so that I do not get other side effects, like headaches.  Since I am outside so much now, and more tired as a result, I just do not feel like it would be a smart move to switch it at this point.  My 20 strength is serving me well for now.  I go back to Iowa City on August, 8.   

Fine motor functioning in my left hand has greatly improved.  Although my hand is still very stiff, I can type just about as fast as I always used to.  The only thing that I still find difficult and frustrating is putting on earrings and necklaces.  It is so hard for me to manipulate the clasp on the necklace and the earring backs.  I have never been a very patient person so I may or may not say a few cuss words when I have to put on jewelry.

My balance is pretty much completely back to normal.  I have even worn heels!  I take it slow, but to be honest I always have.  I am a tennis shoe girl!  When I am doing plyos, I also take it a bit slower than what I can actually go.  I don't want my ego to get in the way of my safety.  

My left side stiffness and heaviness has improved.  I do not feel it as much in my normal everyday activities, but I really feel the difference when I exercise.  A month ago, I only dreamed of running, jumping, and doing plyos.  I can now jog laps, go over steps and hurdles, through ladders, and jump (I wouldn't want anyone measuring my vertical though).  I still feel like I am dragging my leg, but after it gets warmed up, it feels lighter, and lighter. 

My muscle strength and endurance have improved significantly already in the month that I have been exercising.  I have increased about five pounds in every lift without feeling any additional strain or fatigue to my body.  But, I do usually have to drop down in weight by the third set; I never had to do that before. 

I still struggle to control my left arm as it moves away from the center of my body.  Any fly or press exercise is very difficult for me.  I have to lift lighter weight because my arm just wobbles and I don't want to sacrifice form and hurt myself.  Plus, I am so focused on steadying my arm that I don't have room in my head to concentrate on lifting the weight too!

So, I am still seeing small improvements every month.  Slow and steady wins the race, right?



**If anyone is reading this that has had a stroke--if your doctor okays it, EXERCISE!  It helps bring things back so much!  You don't have to go crazy with it, but keep yourself moving and keep introducing new challenges.  You will be surprised at how quickly your body responds.

No comments:

Post a Comment