Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I Want To Dream

I make every attempt I can to remain positive about my condition.  I try to my best to stay optimistic about my recovery and free of worry about the cavernoma malformation that still remains in the Pons of my brain stem.  I work very hard to realize the beauty and the blessings that are around me everyday.  I am successful in my attempts 95% of the time.

I have always been a planner.  So much so that sometimes I would be so busy planning for the future that I would forget to live in the here and now.  Then I had my stroke and I didn't know if I was going to have much of a future to look forward to.  I had no choice but to slow way, way down and enjoy the present.  Now I am feeling better and am a bit more optimistic and I am beginning to look forward to the future again.

Here's the problem: now every time I think about the future my mind quickly follows my thought with, "But what if I bleed again and undergo surgery?"  That thought makes me wonder if I should have surgery.  If I did, then my CM would be gone, I would know what deficits I would be stuck with, and I could move on and stop worrying about how devastating another bleed could be.  I immediately start picturing what I could possibly be like physically and mentally at that time and how my deficits could possibly affect my dream.  It doesn't matter how hard I try to stop it.  It is like an involuntary reflex.

Can you imagine how debilitating that is for a person's spirit?  I am just stuck.  I don't want to look back, but I can't move forward.  I am just stuck.  Yes, it is important to be present now, but it is also healthy to be allowed to dream.  Dreams keep a person motivated to steadily move forward in life without worry.  Dreams keep a person inspired and excited about life.

My dream is to be able to dream again.  My dream is to be able to think about the future without needing to add a "what if" afterward.  My dream is to live without worry.  My dream is for my CM to stop controlling my life.  My dream is to be normal again.

I just want to be able to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment