Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Jamie Smith's "Do Better. Be Better." Foundation

I have mentioned many times how my first Facebook post came to be, why I proceeded to post to Facebook, and how all of that eventually led to creating my blog.  There have been many times when I have wondered if I was being too honest or feared whether I was being too self indulgent by assuming people would even be interested in my story.  In the end though, I selfishly continue to write because it is an amazing form of therapy for me.  More importantly, I want to chronicle this time of life so our girls can read it when they get older.

Could I write without sharing it with others?  Absolutely.  I have contemplated doing that many times.  But if I did that I would have never met Sara, Greg, or Jonathan, whom I had an email from this morning.  He is 25, has what I do, and just suffered from his first bleed.  So now my writing has become just a little bit more than expressing my feelings.

I have always said that I want my stroke, as terrible as it was, to be something positive and something that I learn from.  Over the last two weeks I have been given the opportunity to really run with that idea.

I have to be very clear in stating that what I am about to write was NOT my idea AT ALL, but rather of some very special people that make up my army.  ALL of the credit goes to Kelli Snyder (my childhood friend), Dunkerton's graduating class of 1999, Justin Urbanek (principal of Dunkerton), the leadership/student governments at Dunkerton High School and Cedar Falls High School, and Erin Gardner (friend and co-worker).  I am sure there are many, many more people that have helped that I am not aware of.  I want to extend my gratitude to them too if they are reading.

At the end of July I found out that my graduating class was hosting a golf outing for my family and I.  This outing is on Saturday, September 20.  There will be a golf tournament, social hour, and supper.  I wrote in an earlier post how absolutely blown away by this I was.  I honestly still haven't been able to wrap my head around it.

Two weeks ago I was informed by Patrick that he had received a phone call from Justin stating that the benefit had grown in to something much bigger.  Dunkerton schools was planning to host a 5k color run and school carnival in effort to raise funds to create a scholarship to be given to a graduating senior every year.  The run and scholarship would all be named after my motto, "Do Better.  Be Better."

What??  I asked Patrick three times if he was kidding.  When I finally realized that he wasn't joking, I put my hand over my mouth and just cried.  I was so overwhelmed.  I had to be dreaming.  I had to be.  I was absolutely blown away by their generosity.  I was incredibly humbled by this huge honor.  And, to be honest, I was a bit ashamed.  After everything that everyone has done for us, I should have been the one to take the initiative to create something like this; to give back.  I just didn't have it in me though.  There are still some days where I feel like I am only keeping my head just above the water.

Two days later Patrick surprised me yet again.  He told me that he had talked to Justin again and now Cedar Falls High School was also going to give out a  "Do Better.  Be Better." scholarship every year.  The two schools were going to collaborate and take turns hosting the run and carnival each year.  I started bawling before Patrick even finished telling me.  My heart felt like it was bursting.  I for sure had to be dreaming now.

How did I get here?  How has my life gotten to this point?  It is unbelievable.

Last week we met with Kelli and Justin.  They showed us the flyer and registration form for the color run that had been completed so far and discussed the details.  Knowing that I hate being the center of attention, they also wanted to make sure that this was something I wanted to do.  They did not want to force it on me.  How could I say no to this?  First of all, it is an amazing honor, but it is also exactly what I wanted my stroke to become; something good, rather than devasting.  I LOVE the idea that a graduating senior from each school will be recognized by a scholarship for exhibiting the characteristics that the "Do Better.  Be Better." motto stands for.  I am thrilled that kids from two different districts are collaborating for a great purpose.  And a color run is right up my alley!

Since the meeting Patrick and I have decided to create, Jamie Smith's "Do Better.  Be Better." Foundation.  This is still in the beginning stages because forming a foundation is a teensy bit intense. The other night we were sitting in bed researching what we would need to do when we both just stopped, looked at each other, and said, "Can you believe we are doing this?"  All I did was have a stroke, choose to fight, and honestly write about my feelings.  There are other people in our community like Ed Thomas and Taylor Morris, whom I both consider to be heroes, that have and deserve events and accolades like these.  I do not feel like I am even close to the same level as them.

To say my life has changed in the last 10 months is a massive understatement.  I feel like I am living in an alternate universe most of the time.  I can't believe I had a stroke when I was pregnant, that I delivered Myah full-term and healthy, that I have a blog, and that my story has impacted so many people.  It literally blows my mind.  I can't even fully explain it.

I am very excited about traveling down this new road though.  Thanks to my army my stroke will be remembered in a positive light.  I will forever be indebted to them for that.  I truly believe that these events are just the beginning of what the "Do Better.  Be Better." Foundation will do.

God is good.  He continues to remind me of how gracious He is.  He speaks the loudest through the people He has put in my life.  If I have learned anything over the last ten months it is that the people in your life are the only things that are constant.  Treat them like they are treasures; whether big or small, your actions will always be what inspire them to do better and be better.


No comments:

Post a Comment