Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

NLXF Strong

After my first stroke, before my first post, Patrick asked me if I was sure that I wanted to be so open with everything that was going on.  In my mind, I was selfish.  I needed to release everything I was feeling to feel better.  But, I also said to him, why not?  I have nothing to hide.  I am going through something incredibly difficult and we are going to need help.  There is nothing wrong with being smart enough to understand that you need it.  There is noting wrong with admitting that I am struggling, that life is not all butterflies and rainbows.  Whose life is?

Never in a million years would I have thought that this literally one minute conversation would turn in to the ARMY of people that are supporting us now.  Never would I have imagined having a blog, or a slogan (that sounds conceited, I apologize), or a foundation.....are you kidding me?  In what universe does that happen? 

I have been overwhelmed by you all.  Honestly, I feel like all I do is cry.  Sometimes, they are sad tears because I have just a little bit going on these days.  But, just as often as not, they are happy tears.  Tears that escape my eyes because my heart is so full that it is exploding. 

The amount of messages, meals, care packages, HUGE, random acts of kindness and selflessness.....I can't keep up.  I have tried to read and respond to every post, message, and text, but there is just not enough time in the day.  Please know that I appreciate it all.  I read every one and every single one makes me smile and warms my heart.  That is one hell of a gift you are all giving me right now.  Thank you.

A major turning point in my journey was the night that I came up with the "idea (a.k.a. plan)" to begin the Do Better. Be Better. organization.  I ran it by Patrick quick, who after knowing me this long, knew better to just agree.  Then, I immediately got on good ole Facebook messenger to Ryan Downs, the owner of Next Level Extreme Fitness.  Downs LOVES Facebook messenger.

Ryan didn't hesitate to do this with us after we spoke.  Plans immediately began for fundraisers to help families in need.  He came up with the blacklight gauntlet (the coolest thing ever), he promoted the events, and he got his entire staff on board.  This staff, these trainers, these friends......they are THE BEST.  They are genuine, caring, kind, helpful, and passionate.  They volunteer their time to instruct at these events, they promote them, and they participate in them.  I cannot gush enough about them.  And the people of Key West, the owners, the managers, the daycare providers, the staff.....equally as amazing.  I know nothing about business and I have stepped on their toes more times than I care to admit, but they are ALWAYS willing to do anything and everything.  What kind of a gym, a business, goes above and beyond like that?  Easy answer, it's not just a gym and a business, it's a FAMILY.  A family that I am damn proud to be a part of.

I would spend another page mentioning every single thing NLXF has done for me over the years, but I want to focus on what they are doing now.  I just recently found out that the Mason City gym is organizing a blacklight gauntlet for Do Better. Be Better.....absolutely blows my mind.....the kindness just never stops.  Plus, I am sure that you have probably seen pictures and videos of NLXF family doing 50 burpees in support of my family and I.  First of all, leave it to the trainers to find something for people to do that will still get those results; its week 8 after all!  Secondly, once again, the trainers are spending EXTRA time on me.  They are supervising all of this.  Unreal.  And then for them to hashtag their posts, #WeAreHerArmy.....I mean, you're pulling at every heart string I have.  Finally, 50 burpees?!?!  Before or after a NLXF workout?!?!  Are you kidding?  The workouts alone are crazy hard, let alone adding 50 burpees to that!  So, the fact that people are even willing to put themselves through that is honestly the most touching sentiment to me.  I can guarantee you that it is not an enjoyable experience; I am sure a few expletives are said!  Every time I see a picture or video of them, I smile, I laugh, I feel a little guilty, and I cry.  NLXF is a HUGE program, with five locations.  Most of these people don't even know me and yet they are willing to do that?  There are truly no words to explain my gratitude for that.  

I am left in this place I found myself in after my first stroke.  I am inspired by all of you to do better everyday and be a better person everyday.  How do I ever thank everyone enough?  How can I explain what all of this means to me?  The answer is, I can't.  I wish I could somehow make you all feel what I feel, but I'm not sure how to do that either.

So, instead, here is my next best idea....a promise to you (I'm all about promises lately):

Once I conquer this brain surgery recovery, I will repay your kindness tenfold.  Do Better. Be Better. will not stop.  It is my dream that our girls, grand-babies, and great -grandbabies will run it someday. I promise.  

Kindness is contagious.  Thank you for helping me catch the "bug."























No comments:

Post a Comment