Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Team Addie and Team Elliot

I had a 'I used to' filled workout at NLXF last night and I left feeling incredibly defeated.  I was ready to throw a monumental pity party for myself.  And then I scrolled through my Facebook newsfeed and saw pictures of two young children that are battling cancer in the area.  Needless to say, the pictures and their stories screwed my head back on straight and refocused me on what truly matters in life.

I had a severe stroke.  I have a rare brain condition.  I am entitled to express anything I feel and those thoughts and emotions are justified.  BUT, does it really matter if I can sprint or roundhouse kick?  ABSOLUTELY NOT.

What matters is that I am alive--that we are all alive and given the chance everyday to experience the beauty of life.  Like the unbelievable sight of a sun dog on a cold day, the warmth of another persons touch, the joy from sharing laughter with friends, and the feeling of the unconditional love you have for your children and they have for you.

Those are the things that matter.  Those are the ways in which God shows me that He is with us all.

I, unlike these beautiful innocent children, lived 32 years of life before tragedy struck me.  I pray for them everyday.  I ask that you pray, or wish on stars, or cross all your fingers and toes--whatever you believe in--please do it for these children.  I also understand the power of positive support.  Please read their blogs, send them encouraging messages, deliver meals, buy support bands,....whatever you can do, whether big or small, will move mountains for these families.

Team Elliot Blog

Team Addie Blog



The bracelets that never leave my wrist.
   
Sun dog from Monday morning.  Photo credit: Mary Jo Vrba
 

3 comments:

  1. I Love this Jamie....and I love the sun dog pic. ;) I'm bummed we weren't able to chat after church last week. Hopefully we can catch up soon. I'm sure I'll be in Cedar Falls within the next couple weeks. :-)

    Take care ~ Vrba

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled onto your blog. It sounds like you have done amazing since your stroke. My daughter, 26, also had a stroke, airlifted to St. Paul, had surgery 18 months ago. We sured learned a lot after her surgery, 6 weeks in the hospital and then outpatient PT and OT, and speech therapy for months. She is still going to speech therapy just for some higher cognitive issues but is really doing amazingly well. She developed a severe tremor in her right dominant arm/hand about 4 months after surgery, which limits the use of her arm/hand for things like drinking, eating, hair, and pretty much any task one takes for granted. We will soon be heading back to St. Paul and she will be getting a brain stimulator placed to help with the tremor (hopefully). It is more scary for me, her mother, than it is for her. She is also blessed to be alive and still here with us, able to walk, see (she also had double vision for about 6 months after surgery with her glasses taped), and just live her life. Her boyfriend stuck with her through it all and that is also a blessing. She sounds like she is like you, tough, determined and wanting to live life to the fullest. Thank you for sharing your story. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story! I am so happy to hear your daughter is doing so well. I will pray for the brain stimulator to happen and for it to help with the tremors. Mental toughness and determination definitely help with recovery. I wish you and your family the best. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete