Next Level Extreme Fitness

How I am learning to "Do Better. Be Better." after the cavernoma malformation in the pons of my brainstem bled.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

First Annual "Do Better. Be Better." Color Dash

Saturday, October 11 was the first annual "Do Better.  Be Better." Color Dash.  Portions of the proceeds raised will go towards a scholarship for a graduating senior at Dunkerton High School, my alma mater, and Cedar Falls High School, my place of employment.   The race will be hosted by Cedar Falls High School next year and held in Cedar Falls.

Before I go too far, I would like to thank Justin Urbanek, Dunkerton Leadership, the City of Dunkerton, Dennis Magee, Kelli Snyder, Erin Gardner, and Cedar Falls Student Senate for all of their hard work organizing this event.  I also want to thank everyone who participated in the run or donated.  

In my previous post, Jamie Smith's "Do Better.  Be Better." Foundation, I wrote about how I learned of the color dash and how absolutely humbled and honored I was.  It is just absolutely wild to think about how much my life has changed!

The day was absolutely gorgeous and perfect weather for a run.  My family and friends all picked up our registration packets and got suited up.  Then, of course, the picture taking began!





Shortly before the race, Dunkerton's principal, Justin Urbanek, welcomed us all, explained the purpose of the event, and introduced me.  I said a few words about my condition and recovery and it was time to start the race!

The route took us through town.  Spread sporadically throughout were students from the Dunkerton Leadership Group and Cedar Falls Student Senate armed with color packets that they threw on us.  Seeri rode her bike along side Patrick as he ran.  Jaelyn and Linden walked with me, my mom, sister-in-laws, and brother.   The girls were a bit reluctant to run through the color at first but quickly grew to love it!  Eventually, Jaelyn decided she wanted to run and took off with my brother.  At the end of the race everyone who participated threw a bag of color in to the air to create a giant color bomb.

 

IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!  I enjoyed the quality time with my family and friends and reveled in the giggles and excitement of our girls.  It meant the world to me to have all of them there supporting me and the scholarship fund.  It was simply perfect.  That is the best way I can describe it.

It was a perfect day.




  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment